Aernouts, Goos in Antwerp
Written by: Herbert Krabel
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010
A group of about 7 guys came out of the water together with 3-time Ironman 70.3 Antwerp winner Marino Vanhoenacker among them.
As expected Bjorn Andersson charged into the lead on the bike and with his fastest bike split of 2:01:05 he built an almost 7 minute lead by the time he got back to the second transition. Next into transition was a 4-man group that included Vanhoenacker, Frederik Van Lierde, Dirk Bockel and Bart Aernouts, a Belgian Pro with a duathlon background.
On the run Vanhoenacker and Aernouts charged very hard after the leading Swede and in the process dropped Bockel and Van Lierde. The two chasers caught Andersson with about 7k to go and soon after Aernouts dropped defending champion Vanhoenacker and scored his biggest win to date. Bockel was 3rd, Van Lierde 4th and Andersson crossed the line in 5th.
Emma-Kate Lidbury led the women out of the water but she had Rachel Joyce and defending champion Sofie Goos hot on her heels.
Goos then rode a very fast 2:20:06 bike split and that allowed her to reach T2 nearly 4 minutes ahead of Lidbury and almost 7 minutes ahead of Joyce. All other competitors were even further out of the picture.
Joyce then ran a 1:22:56 half marathon and that helped her gain time back on the Belgian race leader, but Goos ran 1:25:57 and that was plenty fast to ensure the title and allowed her to high five people as she ran towards the finish line. Joyce finished in second position and Lidbury rounded out the podium.
Marc Herremans 70.3 Antwerp
Antwerp, Belgium / July 25, 2010
1.2m swim /56m bike / 13.1m run
Top 10 men
1. Bart Aernouts (BEL) 3:43:38
2. Marino Vanhoenacker (BEL) 3:45:09
3. Dirk Bockel (LUX) 3:45:55
4. Frederik Van Lierde (BEL) 3:48:46
5. Bjorn Andersson (SWE) 3:49:11
6. Ollie Whistler (AUS) 3:55:57
7. Sean Donnelly (GER) 3:56:56
8. Lee Piercy (GBR) 3:59:34 * AG M35-39
9. Bart Colpaert (BEL) 3:59:36 * AG M25-29
10. Rutger Beke (BEL) 4:00:23
Top 10 women
1. Sofie Goos (BEL) 4:13:40
2. Rachel Joyce (GBR) 4:16:25
3. Emma-Kate Lidbury (GBR) 4:19:56
4. Eimaer Mullan (IRL) 4:24:37 * AG W25-29
5. Debbie Verstraeten (BEL) 4:25:14
6. Anne-Marie Dupont (BEL) 4:26:04 * AG W35-39
7. Melanie Matthys (BEL) 4:26:58 * AG WW30-34
8. Nicole Woysch (GER) 4:33:03
9. Esther Evans (GBR) 4:33:07 * AG W35-39
10. Carla Van Rooijen (NED) 4:33:43 * AG W35-39
Belgian men and women went 1-2 at Antwerp Ironman 70.3 – Defending champ Bart Aernouts bested Axel Zeebroek by 2:48 and Sofie Goos edged Sophie De Groote for her third straight Antwerp win 7.24.11
Bart Aernouts of Belgium won the men's title while 43-year-old Luc Van Lierde took 9th; but the most notable performance was by Olympic women’s co-favorite Nicola Spirig, who crushed the women’s field at Antwerp 70.3. 7.22.12
Marino Vanhoenacker won the Marc Herrremans Classic Ironman 70.3 Antwerp for the third time in the row and continues his dominant 2009 performance. Sofie Goos took the women's title and thus helped the Belgian sweep at home. 8.02.09
Despite the stunning field at the recent Abu Dhabi Triathlon, Frederik Van Lierde managed to earn a 5th place and a good pay check. The Belgian Pro also has some other nice results to his name. 3.25.10