Drew Scott wins Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3
Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Sun Jun 24 2012
Amanda Stevens of Oklahoma City cruised to a more comfortable margin of victory of 2:47, earned primarily on the swim, over fellow pro Jessica Jacobs of Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Scott, who was coming off a decisive victory at the Boulder Sprint Triathlon last weekend, combined an 8th-fastest 23:48 swim, a 2nd-fastest 2:11:11 bike split and 7th-fastest 1:24:09 half marathon to hit the line in 4:01:13 to place first overall amateur, first in the men’s 18-24 age group, and take the overall victory by 2 seconds over fellow Boulder, Colorado resident Michael Lovato.
Scott accumulated a 7:15 lead over Lovato with his swim and bike splits, then surrendered 7:37 to Lovato’s race-best 1:16:3 run split – but his slender margin of victory came from faster transitions.
One contributing factor to the victory was the fact that Scott started in a later wave than the professionals so Lovato did not know how close was his rival for the overall title.
Professional Joe Umphenour was also in the mix for the overall as his race-best 22:11 swim, 7th-best 2:18:29 bike split and 2nd-best 1:18:58 run added up to a 4:01:42 finish – 29 seconds behind Scott and 27 seconds behind Lovato for a 2nd professional and 3rd overall placing.
Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake
Buffalo Springs Lake, Texas
June 24, 2012
S 1.2 mi/. / B 56 mi. / R 13.1 mi.
1. Drew Scott (USA) 4:01:13 * M 18-24
2. Michael Lovato (USA) 4:01:15
3. Joe Umphenour (USA) 4:01:42
4. Robert Wade (USA) 4:05:38
5. Marcus Fernandes (BRA) 4:08:06
6. James Bowstead (NZL) 4:09:05
7. Mauro Cavanha (BRA) 4:09:12
8. Ollie Whistler (AUS) 4:10:36
9. Nicholas Thompson (USA) 4:10:49
10. Gavin Anderson (USA) 4:13:35
1. Amanda Stevens (USA) 4:26:09
2. Jessica Jacobs (USA) 4:28:47
3. Allison Linnell (USA) 4:36:04 * F18-24
4. Jessica Meyers (USA) 4:36:27
5. Amanda Lovato (USA) 4:38:35
6. Christine Anderson (USA) 4:41:14
7. Natasha Van Der Merwe (RSA) 4:41:50
8. Andrea Fisher (USA) 4:43:06 * F40-44
9. Ashley Johnson (USA) 4:45:06 * F30-34
Marko Albert of Estonia topped Paul Ambrose of Australia by 2:41 and Jessica Jacobs of Green Bay, Wisconsin won by 6:02 over Dede Griesbauer to win Ironman 70.3 Racine. 7.15.12
In a new feature called The Weekend Box we now feature a variety of results and other interesting tidbits from the weekend. Covered here are races in Holten, Düsseldorf and Lubbock, plus the unique idea to measure twice and cut once, and more. 6.30.13
Raynard Tissink of South Africa holds off USA’s Michael Lovato by 55 seconds; Kelly Williamson’s sizzling run dominates Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake 6.26.11
Chris Lieto used a monster 2:08:04 bike performance and a solid run to take the 2010 Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake race in Lubbock, Texas. Magali Tisseyre ran down fellow Canadian Angela Naeth to take the women's title. 6.27.10