A race best bike split of 53:38 helped Cameron Dye to grab the win at the 2012 Herbalife LA Triathlon. Alicia Kaye also dominated the bike segment with a 58:26 effort and then ran to the title in the women's race.
James Seaar led the men out of the water in 18:48 with Ben Collins, Kevin Everett and Cameron Dye only a few seconds behind him and Hunter Kemper right there too.
Dye then stomped the pedals hard and recorded a very fast 53:38, almost 2.5 minutes quicker than the next best split and reached the bike-run transition with no one else in sight. Collins actually had lost almost 3 minutes to the fast Dye but was still in second position when he reached T2. Chris Foster had lost 1:18 to Dye during the swim, but his 56:01 bike split allowed him to have Collins in his sights.
Foster charged past Collins and both of them started to gain on the leader, but Dye was well up the road. Foster's race best 30:03 run brought him home in second place 1:07 behind the 2012 Herbalife LA Triathlon champion Cameron Dye. Collins rounded out the podium 12 seconds behind Foster.
A 20:30 effort allowed Liz Blatchford to be first out of the water in the women's race and Flora Duffy was next 5 seconds later. Lauren Goss, Julie Ertl, Alicia Kaye and Annabel Luxford also had solid swims, just under 30 seconds behind Blatchford.
Kaye though had another ace up her sleeve once she mounted her bike. The Pro who was born in Canada and now resides in Florida stormed to the fastest bike split of the day in 58:26, over 3 minutes quicker than the next best split set by Jenna Parker. Luxford and Goss were right there too.
Goss started to reel in Kaye, but in the end could not catch her. Kaye took the win in 1:57:57 - a bit over 1:30 in front of runner up Goss, and almost 2 minutes ahead of third places Duffy who recorded a race best 33:22 run.
Herbalife LA Triathlon
Los Angeles, CA / September 30, 2012
1.5k swim / 40k bike / 10k run
1. Cameron Dye (USA) 1:46:57
2. Chris Foster (USA) 1:48:04
3. Ben Collins (USA) 1:48:16
4. Hunter Kemper (USA) 1:49:31
5. Andrew Russell (CAN) 1:51:06
6. Kevin Everett (USA) 1:51:26
7. Cameron Good (AUS) 1:52:36
8. James Seear (AUS) 1:53:15
9. Mitchell Kibby AUS) 1:53:34
10. Michael Poole (NZL) 1:54:11
1. Alicia Kaye (USA) 1:57:57
2. Lauren Goss (USA) 1:59:30
3. Flora Duffy (BER) 1:59:50
4. Liz Blatchford (GBR) 2:02:00
5. Jenna Parker (USA) 2:02:42
6. Yvonne Van Vlerken (NED) 2:04:50
7. Annie Warner (USA) 2:05:07
8. Julie Ertl (USA) 2:06:05
9. Erin Jones (USA) 2:07:12 * Elite
10. Emily Cocks (USA) 2:07:31