Ryan Giuliano, 27, of Schaumburg, Illinois dominated the men’s elite field and Michelle Parsons, 45, of Great Britain, made her move on the bike as they each took home $1,000 for topping the elite divisions at Powerman Alabama Sunday at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, Alabama.
The 10k run-60k bike-10k run event also served as the USA Triathlon age group Long Course Duathlon National Championship, and Dave Slavinski of Point Pleasant, New Jersey took the overall men's age group crown in 2:46:56 and Gail Kattouf of Greenville, South Carolina took the overall women's age group title in 3:14:42.
The elites were simply competing for the Powerman Alabama title - USA Triathlon did not designate this race as an elite national championship.
Giuliano, whose previous best performances included a 2nd at the US Duathlon Long Course National Championship, third overalls at Chicago and Memphis in May, set the fastest first 10k run (32:37), fastest 60k bike (1:33:31) and fastest second 10k run (35:51) to finish in 2:42:58 with a 6:49 margin of victory over Dereck Treadwell of Laurens, New York. Three-time Powerman Alabama winner David Thompson of St. Paul, Minnesota was third, 69 seconds back of Treadwell.
Michelle Parsons, a 45-year-old mother of two with a background in competitive indoor rowing, came into this race with two 5th place finishes at the Powerman World Championship in Zofingen, Switzerland, a 1st and a 2nd at Powerman Austria and gold medals at the European and World Duathlon championships. On the hilly course at Oak Mountain Park, Parsons came out of the first 10k run in third, 70 seconds behind Nicole Laselle and 50 seconds back of Deanna Newman. Parsons put the hammer down on the bike, posting a 1:44:07, which put 3:09 on Newman and 9:22 on Laselle. By the end of her 43:38 final 10k run which gave back 74 seconds to Newman, Parsons finished in 3:08:57 with a 1 minute 36 second margin of victory over runner-up Newman and 12 minutes 31 seconds over third place Laselle.
Neither Jorie Vansteelant nor Marisa Asplund, the 2010 elite winners, were in Oak Mountain to defend their titles.
Powerman Alabama Duathlon
USA Triathlon Long Course Duathlon Nationals
R 10k / B 60k / R 10k
March 27, 2011
1. Ryan Giuliano (Schaumburg, IL) 2:42:58
2. Dereck Treadwell (Laurens NY) 2:49:47
3. David Thompson (St. Paul MN) 2:50:56
4. Paul Fitzpatrick (Ontario, Canada) 2:56:13
5. Maciej Kurka (Chicago IL) 3:08:19
6. Oscar Mendoza (Colombia) 3:`11:09
1. Michelle Parsons (Great Britain) 3:08:57
2. Deanna Newman (Birmingham AL) 3:10:33
3. Nicole Laselle (Akron OH) 3:21:28
4. Anne Curi Preisig (Falmouth MA) 3:29:17
1. Dave Slavinski (Point Pleasant NJ) 2:46:56 – M40-44
2. Stephen Dupree (Boulder CO) 2:52:41 – M 40-44
3. Kevin O’Connor (Long Lake MN) 2:53:42 – M4044
1. Gail Kattouf (Greenville SC) 3:14:42 - F35-39
2. Shannon Hawrylo (Reston VA) 3:23:53 – F25-29
3. Carrie Andrews (Pelham AL) 3:25:52 – F30-34
1. Scott Schraff (Terrace Park OH) 2:59:44 -- M45-49
1. Cheryl Todd (Davidson NC) 3:36:38 - F40-44