Legh, Carfrae win Lake Stevens 70.3
Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Sun Jul 15 2012
Legh, the 40-year-old Australian 70.3 master, overcame a 72-seconds deficit after the bike to overtake Timothy O’Donnell with a race-best 1:14:26 half marathon. Legh’s 4:01:29 finish left runner-up O’Donnell 20 seconds in his dust and third place Trevor Wurtele of Canada another 40 seconds back.
Carfrae, the 2010 Ironman World Champion, overcame a 1:58 deficit to Canada’s Tenille Hoogland after the swim with a 2nd-fastest 2:37:43 bike split and her usual race-best 1:19:31 run to bring the Australian to the line in 4:26:38 with a 6:35 margin of victory over top amateur Sheila Croft of nearby Redmond, Washington and an 11 minutes 50 seconds margin over 3rd-place finisher and 2nd pro Hoogland.
Carfrae's time broke the race record set in 2010 by Melanie McQuaid by 38 seconds.
Croft, the women’s 35-39 and overall women’s amateur champion, set the women’s fastest bike split – her 2:33:53 was 3:50 faster than the next best bike split set by Carfrae. Croft also posted the third fastest overall women’s run split – 1:24:32.
Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Lake Stevens, Washington
July 15, 2012
S 1.2 mi. / B 56 mi. / R 13.1 mi.
1. Chris Legh (AUS) 4:01:29
2. Tim O’Donnell (USA) 4:01:49
3. Trevor Wurtele (CAN)4:02:29
4. Karl Bordine (USA) 4:14:16
5. Chris Bagg (USA) 4:14:37
6. Rob Lea (USA) 4:17:07 * M30-34
7. Matthew Russell (USA) 4:17:45
8. Andrew Mullenix (USA) 4:18:48 * M30-34
9. David Condon (USA) 4:22:13 * M35-39
10. Kyle Hummel (USA) 4:22:45 * M30-34
1. Mirinda Carfrae (AUS) 4:26:38
2. Sheila Croft (USA) * F35-39
3. Tenille Hoogland (CAN) 4:38:28
4. Madison Mackenzie (USA) 4:42:27
5. Uli Bromme (USA) 4:42:48
6. Gillian Clayton (CAN) 4:45:11
7. Beth Walsh (USA) 4:45:38
8. Christine Anderson (USA) 4:48:28
9. Lauren Capone (USA) * F18-24
10. Christine Fletcher (CAN) 4:53:34
This fast Aussie and Lyons, Colorado resident was never really gone, but he has not done an Ironman race in 7+ years until his 5th place finish at Ironman Melbourne. Enjoy this video chat. 3.28.13
Luke Bell pulled away from Paul Ambrose to take the 2011 Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens title. Tyler Stewart had a monster bike split and then cruised home on a fast 1:22:29 run to take the win. 8.14.11
Joe Gambles announced loud & clear that he's back and fast as ever as he successfully defended his title. Melanie McQuaid took her first 70.3 win, continuing a strong season of cross-over racing. 8.15.10