Morales, Goos win IM Brazil
Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Sun May 27 2012
Morales won his first Ironman at Wisconsin in 2011 and Goos won her first Ironman title at Florida in 2009.
Morales, 37, trailed five men after the bike, then uncorked a race-best 2:57:49 marathon to pass leader Santiago Ascenco with 4 kilometers to go. Morales hit the finish in 8:22:40 with a 2:51 margin of victory over Ascenco, who could only manage a 3:10:36 marathon after his race-fastest 4:26:51 bike. Igor Amorelli of Brazil combined a 3rd-fastest 44:17 swim, 9th-best 4:34:38 bike split and 3rd-best 3:09:01 marathon to take 3rd place, 2:25 back of Ascenco.
Goos, 32, combined a 52:42 swim, a race-fastest 4:59:24 bike and a 3:25:36 run for an overall finish of 9:17:42 and a 3:08 margin of victory over fast-closing Kim Loeffler of the United States. Loeffler trailed by 13:29 after a 1:03:14 swim, and a 5:02:21 bike then turned on the jets with a women's race-fastest 3:15:15 marathon to hit the finish 2 minutes 59 seconds in front of 3rd-place finisher Vanessa Gianinni of Brazil.
Hillary Biscay of the United States led the swim with a race-best 50:01 split and was second into T2 after a 4th-best 5:04:20 bike split. But she fell to 6th after a 3:50:40 run that left her 27:19 back of the winner at the finish.
May 27, 2012
S 2.4 mi. / B 112 mi. / R 26.2 mi.
1. Ezequiel Morales (ARG) 8:22:40
2, Santiago Ascenco (BRA) 8:25:31
3. Igor Amorelli (BRA) 8:27:56
4. Guilherme Valenza Manocchio (BRA) 8:29:35
5. Lucas Cocha (ARG) 8:30:33
6. Raul Furtado (BRA) 8:32:27
7. Eduardo Sturla (ARG) 8:36:55
8. Mario de Elias (ARG) 8:41:02
9. Andrey Lyatskiy (RUS) 8:45:16
10. Luiz Francisco de Paiva Ferreira (BRA)
11. Oscar Galindez (BRA) 8:46:11
1. Sofie Goos (BEL) 9:17:42
2. Kim Loeffler (USA) 9:20:50
3. Vanessa Gianinni (BRA) 9:23:49
4. Sara Gross (CAN) 9:35:08
5. Ariane Gomes Monticeli Da Silveira (BRA) 9:39:35
6. Hillary Biscay (USA) 9:45:01
7. Maki Nishiuchi (JPN) 9:52:56
8. Mariana Borges de Andrade (BRA) 9:55:22
9. Ana Lidia Borbe (BRA) 10:12:26
10. Alessandra Rocio de Carvalho 10:22:41
Belgian Uplace Pro Sofie Goos is currently preparing for Ironman Los Cabos and we had a video chat with her while she was briefly at home in Belgium. 2.25.13
Timothy O’Donnell won his first Ironman by 18 minutes and super swimmer – excellent biker Amanda Stevens held off a late race charge by Sara Gross to take her first Ironman win at Florianopolis Brazil. 5.26.13
Ariane Monticeli of Brazil outdueled Liz Lyles and Amanda Stevens while Marino Vanhoenacker topped 4 men breaking 8 hours at Ironman Brazil. 5.31.15
Argentina's Eduardo Sturla took the win at the Ironman Brazil Florianopolis for the fourth time. Amy Marsh grabbed the win in the women's race and that is her fourth Ironman title. 5.29.11
Aussie Luke McKenzie led from start to finish at the 2010 Ironman Brasil Florianopolis to win his 5th Ironman title in record time. Tereza Macel won her 4th title, but had to fight Dede Griesbauer until late in the run. 5.30.10