Chris Lieto used a monster 2:08:04 bike performance and a solid run to take the 2010 Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake race in Lubbock, Texas. Magali Tisseyre ran down bike fellow Canadian Angela Naeth to take the women's title.
Stephen Hackett led the men out of Buffalo Springs Lake and had Terenzo Bozzone, James Cotter and Chris Lieto hot on his heels.
Once on the bikes the leading four men were soon joined by Ben Hoffman and TJ Tollakson, and now 6 men were pushing the pace up front. Half way through the bike Lieto, Tollakson and Bozzone managed to get away from the other 3 and soon after Lieto left the other 2 behind. By the time Lieto reached the bike-run transition he was up more than 3 minutes on Tollakson and another minute on Bozzone who reached T2 in second and third.
Bozzone quickly found his pace on the run though and charged past Tollakson in pursuit of Lieto. Bozzone had Lieto in his sights soon, but the Kansas 70.3 winner had his eye on the prize and pulled away again to take the 2010 Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake. Bozzone came across the line in second about 1:40 later and Hoffman had another fine performance and finished third.
Andrea Fisher did her "Fish" nickname honor and had a more than 30 second lead on Rebecca Witinok-Huber coming out of the water.
Angela Naeth started the bike segment almost 2.5 minutes after Fisher and in about 9th position, but she quickly rolled through the field and took the lead. Her :2:22:21 bike split would turn out to be the best among the females and allowed her to get back to T2 in first place almost 5 minutes up on Magali Tisseyre who reached the transition next.
Tisseyre then put on the afterburners and with a 1:27:38 run caught and passed Naeth for the win. Naeth hung on comfortably for second place and Witinok-Huber rounded out the podium.
"Swimming in an oasis in the Texan farm lands, biking through canyons, running through the -energy lab-. I LOVED it all. Oh and fighting for a win always makes it so much more tasty," said Tisseyre to slowtwitch. "Felt a little tired today and had to be patient for legs to come back after the bike."
Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3
Lubbock, TX / June 27, 2010
1.2m swim / 56m bike / 13.1m run
Top 10 men
1. Chris Lieto (USA) 3:55:27
2. Terenzo Bozzone (NZL) 3:57:06
3. Ben Hoffman (USA) 3:58:22
4. TJ Tollakson (USA) 4:00:43
5. James Kotter (USA) 4:05:21
6. Tim Reed (AUS) 4:05:26
7. Mario De Elias (ARG) 4:06:44
8. Brent Poulsen (CAN) 4:06:52
9. Christopher Thomas (USA) 4:08:19 *AG M35-39
10. Paul Attard (AUS) 4:09:29
Top 10 women
1. Magali Tisseyre (CAN) 4:23:21
2. Angela Naeth (CAN) 4:24:57
3. Jessica Jacobs (USA) 4:35:49
4. Amanda Lovato (USA) 4:38:35
5. Rebecca Witinok-Huber (USA) 4:41:24
6. Kristin White (USA) 4:41:36 *AG W35-39
7. Charisa Wernick (USA) 4:43:18
8. Caroline Smith (USA) 4:43:26
9. Margaret Finley (USA) 4:44:09 *AG W35-39
10. Andrea Fisher (USA) 4:44:14