U.S. Olympian Ben Kanute and British star Emma Pallant-Browne (who resides in South Africa) won the overall men’s and women’s pro divisions in the 40th anniversary edition of the classic Escape triathlon.
Pallant-Browne of Great Britain won the women’s crown in 2:22:20 with a margin of 44 seconds over Holly Lawrence of Great Britain (who resides in Santa Monica) and 5:24 over third place woman Jackie Hering of the U.S.
The women’s race proved to be a battle of the Brits with Great Britain’s Holly Lawrence being first out of the water and holding the lead all the way to the end of the run when fellow Brit Pallant-Browne finally caught her right after the 200-step Baker Beach Sand Ladder. Pallant-Browne was second out of the water, nearly two minutes behind, but then charged the run to catch fellow Brit Lawrence.
“This was my first time competing in this race and it was my first-time visiting San Francisco, and I absolutely loved it,” said Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon women’s Champion Pallant-Browne.”
Kanute won his 4th Escape title and the tape in 2:10:11 with a margin of 2:05 over Jason West of Boulder, Colorado and 2:30 over third place finisher Bradley Weiss of South Arica.
Kanute was ebullient at his race: “High winds, a strong current and choppy water made for an especially challenging swim today,” said Ben Kanute. “It was difficult to track Greg Harper as he was in the lead during the swim, but I was able to make up some time and catch him on the first hill of the bike course. I love this race, I love its 40-year history and the picturesque course, it is unlike any other race.”
On Sunday, 1,600 triathletes plunged into warmer than usual 63-degree water of San Francisco Bay to contest the 40th anniversary Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon. Fighting choppy water and strong currents, the men and women completed the classic course which included an 1.5-mile swim from Alcatraz to Marina Green, an 18-mile bike ride past several landmarks, and an 8-mile run to the sand ladder and back to the finish.
The race was warmly welcomed after the race was canceled in 2020 due to the Covid pandemic, and delayed from its usual June date.
40th Anniversary Escape from Alcatraz
San Francisco, California
August 15, 2021
S 1.5 mi. / B 18.mi / R 8 mi.
1. Ben Kanute (USA) S 33:16 T1 3:35 B 46:50 T2 0:48 R 45:44 TOT 2:10:11
2. Jason West (USA) S 233:56 T1 3:43 B 47:57 T2 0:56 R 45:46 TOT 2:12:16
3. Bradley Weiss (RSA) S 33:57 T1 3:54 B 46:39 T2 1:06 R 47:07 TOT 2:12:41
4. Ben Hoffman (USA) S 34:00 T1 3:55 B 47:33 T2 1:19 R 48:08 TOT 2:14:53
5. Greg Harper (USA) S 32:30 T1 4:00 B 51:27 T2 1:07 R 46:21 TOT 2:15:23
6. Bear Schickel (USA) S 35:19 T1 3:53 B 49:30 T2 1:14 R 48:24 TOT 2:16:18
7. Timothy Winslow (USA) S 36:22 T1 4:42 B 47:34 Y2 1:16 R 49:45 TOT 2:19:37
8. John Dahlz (USA) S 33:52 T1 4:00 B 51:09 T2 51:09 T2 50:22 TOT 2:20:21
1. Emma Pallant-Browne (GBR) S 36:34 T1 3:58 B 53:25 T2 1:18 B 47:08 TOT 2:22:20
2. Holly Lawrence (GBR) S 34:42 T1 4:09 B 52:51 Y2 0:59 R 509:24 TOT 2:23:04
3. Jackie Hering (USA) S 37:08 T1 4:07 B 56:13 T2 1:07 R 49:10 TOT 2:27:44
4. Grace Thek (AUS) S 36:43 Y1 4:17 B 55:37 T2 1:14 R 50:13 TOT 2:28:04
5. Ginger Howell (USA) S 40:25 T1 5:49 B 58:01 T2 1:22 R 55:10 TOT 2:40:45
6. Lara Gruden (USA) S 39:33 T1 4:35 B 59:59 T2 1L09 R 56:49 TOT 2:42:03
7. Caitlin Standifer (USA) S 46:28 T1 6:06 B 56:01 T2 1:30 R 52:16 TOT 2:42:19