Graham O'Grady led from start to finish to win the 2011 Rev33 Portland race just ahead of Richie Cunningham and Jordan Rapp. Meredith Kessler put together a great race after a couple DNFs to win the women's title.
"Yeah, it was a great start to my racing block here in America! The day was great I felt strong from the gun and was able to control my effort right the way through," said O'Grady to slowtwitch. "I put in a lot of hard work so its nice to finally have some rewards."
Women's race winner Meredith Kessler was also quite happy with her day in Portland.
"Matt Dixon and I knew that we had to regroup after the sour start to the season and we didn't want to waste the fitness aspect of what we had done so far so I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in my first REV3 race and it was a fantastic experience win or lose," said Kessler to slowtwitch. "I am elated with the result at REV3 Portland and was delighted to be a part of it all! It was such an amazing venue with first class race management and execution. It was just lovely to be able to persevere though the tough times and rise above the hiccups and remember the athlete that you are and the athlete you want to be. The body is resilient and I needed to be too. It was worth the wait."
A related image gallery
Rev3 Portland in pictures
Portland, OR / July 10, 2011
1.2m swim / 56m bike / 13.1m run
1. Graham O'Grady (NZL) 3:51:11
2. Richie Cunningham (AUS) 3:51:20
3. Jordan Rapp (USA) 3:51:22
4. Jesse Thomas (USA) 3:52:02
5. Chris McDonald (AUS) 3:54:43
6. Nicholas Thompson (USA) 3:55:59
7. Trevor Wurtele (CAN) 3:56:24
8. Michael Lovato (USA) 3:56:56
9. James Bowstead (NZL) 3:59:44
10. Kirk Nelson (USA) 3:59:51
1. Meredith Kessler (USA) 4:16:34
2. Kate Major (AUS) 4:23:09
3. Malaika Homo (USA) 4:25:18
4. Bree Wee (USA) 4:27:52
5. Amanda Lovato (USA) 4:30:54
6. Mackenzie Madison (USA) 4:31:22
7. Marisa Asplund (USA) 4:33:30
8. Courtenay Brown (USA) 4:34:35
9. Lesley Smith () 4:35:09
10. Jennifer Luebke (USA) 4:39:29