Chrissie Wellington ruled the 2008 Alpe d'Huez Triathlon with her second place overall finish. Only Brasilian Pro Marcus Ornellas was faster than the 2007 Ironman World Champion on the 2.2k swim, 115k bike and 22k run course.
Cyril Mazure (FRA) was first out of the water in 26:15 followed closely by Stephen Bayliss (GBR) and Marcus Ornellas. Chrissie Wellington was first among the women and came into T1 about 3.5 minutes behind the lead men.
Ornellas took charge of the race on the 115k bike segment leading up to the famous Alpe d'Huez. With his time of 4:04:20 he clocked the fastest bike split of the day and was first into T2. Wellington recorded the 3rd fastest bike split overall and reached the Alpe in second place overall and about 9 minutes after Ornellas.
After a super speedy transition, Wellington flew through the 22 k run course and started to take time back on the overall leader. Ornellas though would hold on and take the win. Just over a minute later, Wellington crossed the finish line in second place overall and a clear winner in the women's category, thanks in part to her 1:36:34 run.
Triathlon Cyrille Neveu Vaujany Alpe d'Huez / Oisans, France / July 30
Top 10 men
1. Marcus Ornellas (BRA) 6:17:02
2. Romuald Lepers (FRA) 6:24:59
3. Sébastien Stalder (FRA) 6:26:19
4. Gabriele Mazzetta (ITA) 6:29:18
5. Vincent Morey (FRA) 6:31:39
6. Sébastien Espitalier (FRA) 6:35:00
7. Egea Aritz (ESP) 6:36:37
8. Stephen Bayliss (GBR) 6:36:54
9. Anthony Philippe (FRA) 6:38:50
10. Huib Rost (NED) 6:40:28
Top 5 women
1. Chrissie Wellington (GBR) 6:18:25
2. Alexandra Louison (FRA) 6:43:54
3. Audrey Cleau (FRA) 6:52:18
4. Coralie Lemaire (BEL) 7:46:48
5. Franziska Krebs (SUI) 7:54:21